Sunday, January 13, 2013

< RM > story - Pickup in the Rain

Pickup in the Rain

One night, at 11:30 PM, an older African
American woman was standing on the side of
an Alabama highway trying to endure a lash-
ing rain storm.
Her car had broken down and she desper-
ately needed a ride. Soaking wet, she decid-
ed to flag down the next car.
A young white man stopped to help her,
generally unheard of in those conflict-filled
1960s. The man took her to safety, helped
her get assistance and put her into a taxi
cab. She seemed to be in a big hurry. She
wrote down his address, thanked him, and
drove away.
Seven days went by and a knock came on
the man's door. To his surprise, a giant con-
sole color TV was delivered to his home. A
special note was attached. It read:
Thank you so much for assisting me on
the highway the other night. The rain
drenched not only my clothes but my spirits.
Then you came along. Because of you, I was
able to make it to my dying husband's bed-
side just before he passed away. God bless
you for helping me and unselfishly serving
others.
Sincerely, Mrs. Nat King Cole.

No comments: