Sunday, January 13, 2013

< RM > story - Start With Yourself

Start With Yourself

The following words were written on the
tomb of an Anglican Bishop in the Crypts of
Westminister Abbey:
When I was young and free and my imag-
ination had no limits, I dreamed of changing
the world. As I grew older and wiser, I dis-
covered the world would not change, so I
shortened my sights somewhat and decided
to change only my country.
But it, too, seemed immovable.
As I grew into my twilight years, in one
last desperate attempt, I settled for changing
only my family, those closest to me, but alas,
they would have none of it.
And now as I lie on my deathbed, I sud-
denly realize: If I had only changed my self
first, then by example I would have changed
my family.
From their inspiration and encourage-
ment, I would then have been able to better
my country and, who knows, I may have
even changed the world.

No comments: