Saturday, January 5, 2013

< Conv > Interaksi Sosial (3)

9. Telling 'someone' how to do something
Informal
You do it like this: you ...
Watch. First you ...
Look, all you do is ...
Let me show you. First you ...
It's like this: first you ...

Less Formal
Make sure you ...
First you have to/should ...
First you ...,then you ...
The first step is to ...
This is how you do it: you ...

Formal
You should follow this procedure: ...


10. Saying someone should not do something
Less Formal
You needn't ...
You don't need to ...
You can choose for yourself ...
There's really no need to ...
There's no reason why you should...
I can't see why you should ...
Don't do it, please.

Formal
You are not required to ...
You are not obliged to ...
You are free to decide for yourself ...
I leave it in your hands ...
I leave ... up to you.


11. Saying someone must not do something
Informal
You're not to ...
You're not really supposed to ...
You're not meant to ...
You oughtn't really ...
You mustn't ...!
You can't ...!
Stop! / Wait! ...
Leave that alone! (Don't touch, put it down)
For goodness' sake don't ...!

Less Formal
You'd better not ...
You shouldn't really ...
Whatever you do, don't ...
I don't think you should ...


12. Asking if you are obliged to do something
Informal
I suppose I've got to ...
Do I really have to ...?
Have I got to..?

Less Formal
Must I ...?
Do I need to ...?

Formal
Is it necessary for us ...?
Are we required to ...?
Am I expected to ...?

No comments: