Saturday, January 5, 2013

< Conv > Interaksi Sosial (4)

13. Saying someone is obliged to do something
Informal
I think you're supposed to ...
I think you're meant to ...

Less Formal
You're expected to ...
I'm afraid you've got to ...
I'm afraid you must ...
I'm afraid you can't get away with ...
I think you should ...
I think you have to ...

Formal
I'm afraid/I think you are obliged to ...
I don't think you can avoid ...


14. Saying what you think you ought to do 
Informal
Sorry, better ...

Less Formal
Sorry, I must ...
I'd better ...
I should ...

Formal
There appears to be no alternative.
I have no alternative ...
I have an obligation to ...
I feel obliged to ...
I feel it is absolutely necessary.
I feel it is absolutely necessary to ...
I feel it is my duty to ...


15. Saying what you think you ought not to do
Informal
No, I'd better not ...
No way!

Less Formal
No, I couldn't possibly ...
I shouldn't.
I can't possibly ....

Formal
It would be wrong of me to ...
I feel obliged not to ...
I feel it is my duty not to ...


16. Asking if someone agrees
Less Formal
You don't disagree, do you?
Wouldn't you say so?
Would you agree with ...?
Is it right?
Is ... agreed?
I wonder if you would agree ...
Don't you feel ...?
Don't you agree?
Do you agree that ...
Can I ask you if you agree...?
Don't you think..?

No comments: