Sunday, January 13, 2013

< RM > story - Puppies For Sale

Puppies For Sale

A storeowner was tacking a sign above his
door that read "Puppies For Sale." Signs like
that have a way of attracting small children,
and sure enough, a little boy appeared under
the storeowner's sign. "How much are you
going to sell the puppies for?" he asked.
The storeowner replied, "Anywhere from
$30 to $50."
The little boy reached in his pocket and
pulled out some change. "I have $2.37," he
said. "Can I please look at them?"
The storeowner smiled and whistled and
out of the kennel came Lady, who ran down
the aisle of his store followed by five teeny,
tiny balls of fur. One puppy was lagging con-
siderably behind. Immediately the little boy
singled out the lagging, limping puppy and
said, "What's wrong with that little dog?"
The storeowner explained that the veteri-
narian had examined the little puppy and had
discovered it didn't have a hip socket. It
would always limp. It would always be lame.
The little boy became excited. "That is the lit-
tle puppy that I want to buy."
The storeowner said, "No, you don't want
to buy that little dog. If you really want him,
I'll  just give him to you." The little boy got
quite upset. He looked straight into the
storeowner's eyes, pointing his finger, and
said, "I don't want you to give him to me.
That little dog is worth every bit as much as
all the other dogs and I'll pay full price. In
fact, I'll give you $2.37 now, and 50 cents a
month until I have him paid for."
The storeowner countered, "You really
don't want to buy this little dog. He is never
going to be able to run and jump and play
with you like the other puppies."
To this, the little boy reached down and
rolled up his pant leg to reveal a badly twist-
ed, crippled left leg supported by a big metal
brace. He looked up at the storeowner and
softly replied, "Well, I don't run so well
myself, and the little puppy will need some-
one who understands!"

No comments: