Sunday, October 14, 2012

< Conv > Teknik Berkomunikasi (7)


14. Checking that you understand
Informal
Sorry, I'm not quite with you ...
If I've got the picture, then ...
Can I get this clear?

Less Formal
That means .... Right?
Sorry, I'm not quite with what you've said.
So is the basic idea that ...?
So am I right in saying ...?
So ...?
Just to be quite certain about this ...
In other words .... Right?
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand.
If I've understood right, ...
If I've got it right, then ...
If I understand ...
Does this mean ...?
Does that mean ...?
Do you mean...?

Formal
Would I be right in supposing...?
Would I be correct in saying ...?
So, if I take your meaning rightly, ...
If I've followed you ...

If I understand you correctly ...
If I follow you rightly, then ...


15. Asking someone to say something 
Informal
Sorry, I didn't get any of that.

Less Formal
What was the first word?
Pardon?
I'm sorry?
I'm sorry, what was that word?
I'm sorry, what did you say?
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear what you said.
I'm sorry, I didn't hear ...
I didn't catch ...

Formal
Would you repeat what you said?
I'm sorry, would you mind repeating ... please?
I'm sorry, could I ask you to repeat that sentence?
I beg your pardon?

No comments: