Saturday, January 5, 2013

< Conv > Interaksi Sosial (13)

49. Comparing
Informal
There's no way ... is better than ...
... has the edge over ... ( a little bit better)

Less Formal
You just can't compare ... and ...
There's absolutely no comparison between ... and ...
On the whole, ...
If you compare ... and ...
I don't see how you can talk about ... and... in the same way.
... worse than ...
I consider it to be greatly inferior to ...
... better than ...

Formal
I think it's not less attractive than ...
I don't consider ... to be in any way more attractive than ...
By and large, ...
All in all, ...
... is less valuable than ...
... is incomparably more interesting than ...
I consider it to be superior to ...


50. Giving something to someone
Less Formal
The ... you asked for.
I'd like you to have ...
I'd like to give you ...
Here's ...
Here you are.
Here are your ....
Can I give you ...?
... is for you.

Formal
Please, accept ...
I have great pleasure in presenting you with.
Allow me to present you with ...


51. Saying what you want
Informal
Why can't I ...?
I've got to have ...
I'm really longing for ...
I should really love ...
I could use...
I could do with ...
... would just suit me.
... would go down well.

Less Formal
What I should really like is ...
May I ...?
If only I could ...
I'd love ...
I'd like ...
I wish I could ...
I want ...
I need ...
I must have ...

Formal
I very much wish ...


52. Saying you have reached agreement
Informal
That's it, then...
That's 0. K.
So what are we arguing about?
Everyone's happy about..., then.

Less Formal
Well, that's settled, ...
That's agreed then.
So we're agreed.
Right, we agree.
We are agreed ..., then.

Formal
We seem to be in complete agreement ...
Basically, we seem to be saying the same thing.
So, we appear to agree on ... .

No comments: