Saturday, January 5, 2013

< Conv > Interaksi Sosial (6)

21. Asking for  permission
Informal
Let me ... would you?
Any chance of  going out?

Less Formal
Can I ..., please?

Formal
Would it be possible ...?
With your permission I should like to ...
Is there any objection?
May I ...?
I was wondering if I could ...?
Do you mind if ...?
Could I ...?
Do you have any objection to ...?


22. Giving permission
Informal
Why not?
Sure.
No reason why you shouldn't ...
No reason why not.
It's 0. K.
Go ahead.
Feel free ...

Less Formal
You're welcome to ...
Yes, that's all right.
Yes, certainly you can,
That's fine.
Of course.
I can't see any objection.

Formal
Yes, indeed you may ...
That seems perfectly acceptable.
Please, don't hesitate to ...
I can see no objection to ...
By all means.
By all means do ...


23. Refusing permission
Informal
That's not on.
No way.

Less Formal
Out of the question.
I'm sorry, you're not supposed to...
I'm sorry, that's not allowed.
I'm afraid you can't ...
I'm afraid that's not possible ...
I'm afraid not.
I'm afraid I can't let you ...
I'd like to, but ...
I don't think you should ...
I can't possibly ...


24. Asking if someone is able to do something
Informal
What's he like at tennis?
Is he any good?
Is he any good at ...?

Less Formal
Do you think you can ...?
Do you know how to ...?
Do you know anything about...?
Can you ...?
Are you able to ...?

Formal
Do you have any experience of...?
Do you feel capable of ...?
Are you capable of ...?

No comments: