Saturday, January 5, 2013

< Conv > Interaksi Sosial (9)

33. Refusing an offer of help
Informal
No, it's 0. K., thanks.
No, don't worry.
No, don't bother, really.

Less Formal
That's very kind of you, but .....
Thanks a lot, but ...
No, thank you.
No, really, I can manage, thanks.
No, it's all right, really.
I don't think so, thank you.

Formal
That's extremely kind of you, but ...
Thank you for offering, but ...
Please don't trouble yourself about ...
It's very good of you to offer, but ...


34. Asking for someone's opinion
Informal
I don't think much of ..., do you?

Less Formal
What would you say to ...?
What do you think of/about ...?
What are your feelings about ...?
What about ...?
How would you react to ...?
How do you see...?
How do you feel about ...?
Have you got any comments on ...?
Can you comment ...?
What do you feel about ...?

Formal
What's your opinion of ...?
What is your reaction to ...?
I'd be grateful to have your opinion on ...
Do you have any particular views on ...?
Do you have any opinion on ...?
Could I know your reaction to ...?


35. Expressing your opinion
Informal
You know what I think?
Well, I must say ...
I'd say ...
I'd like to say ...
Don't you think ...?

Less Formal
What I reckon is, ...
The way I see it, ...
It's my feeling...
It seems to me ...
I'm convinced that ...
If you ask me, ...
I think ...
I should say ...
I reckon ...
I feel ...
I believe...
From my point of view, ...

Formal
Personally, I consider ...
Personally, I believe ...
My own view of the problem is ...
It's my opinion ...
In my view ...
In my opinion ...
I'm of the view ...
I'm of the opinion ...
If I may say so ...
I consider ...
From where I stand, ...
As I understand it ...
As I see it, ...
As for my point of view ...
To my mind, ...


36. Trying to change someone's opinion
Informal
You can't mean that, surely?
No, but look, ...
Hold on ...
Are you kidding? ...

Less Formal
You don't really think...?
Yes, but on the other hand ...
Well, think of it this way, ...
Surely you don't think...
Isn't it possible that ...?
Do you really think ...?
But look at it like this, ...
But don't you think ...?
Another way of looking at it would be that ...

Formal
Yes, but if we look at the whole picture,...
Well, I think others might say ...
I respect your opinion, of course. However, ...
But there are other considerations. For example,
But seen from another angle, one might say ...
But if we look at it in another light, ...

No comments: